Sunday 17 April 2011

The banality of snobbery and the class system in the UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"These days, the majority of the population of the UK seem to not take much notice of classes. I say “most” because there seems to still be a feeling of animosity amongst a select few people of the upper class “movement”. Just last week, at the well-known charity shop I volunteer at, we had a woman come in and, as I’m a nice, social person, we got to talking as she browsed. The fact that she was an English teacher came up and so I feigned interest with an: “Oh right, that’s cool.” To which she responded by saying to me, “I think, therefore I am’ – do you know who said that?” to which, slightly confusedly, I replied: “The French philosopher, Descartes”. The only reason I knew that, just as a side-note, was because I’m reading a “50 condensed philosophical ideas” book at the moment in which he is mentioned. She then proceeded to ask me..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment